Working alongside Engineers, Designers and PMs in cross-functional teams, you will be responsible for implementing Android projects. You will grow as a developer and tech leader within the company through your work and collaboration with our CTO and Head of Product on Android projects. You'll have a lot of autonomy and influence on the technical direction of the company.
Who are we looking for
- You're an independent thinker, who does not need handholding and likes it when people get out of your way so that you can get things done.
- You have the courage to push back against superiors when they make mistakes (hint: they do, more often than they'd like).
- You're able to have productive arguments with colleagues, and are able to balance fighting hard for your own points on their merit, while being able to recognise and concede when someone else's idea may be more suited for the particular situation at hand.
- A love for being challenged, and an understanding that this is one of the best ways to grow.
- Appreciation that sometimes a technically inferior solution is the overall better decision (e.g. due to economics or time-to-market). This should be hard for you to accept, but you should be able to do this on occasion.
- Appreciation for working in a team that prefers async communication as opposed to interrupt-driven meeting-based communication. You don't like sitting in meetings.
- You value a merit-driven work culture, where work speaks for itself.
- Help shape our development culture and best practices
- Develop and maintain Android applications
- Work either as a lead dev with a team or as as a solo dev depending on the project
- Own the development process and push back when needed against PM/Leads to ensure that projects are delivered to a high level of quality without the need for heroics
- Mentor other developers
- Develop reusable libraries that may be be open sourced (for which you will be credited as the author)
- Participate in all project phases, from requirements analysis through implementation to customer support regarding technical issues
- Ensure you and your colleagues ship clean code and follow good development practices
- Help identify and scope out future projects, then manage those projects from the technical side, contributing to the codebase as needed in an IC capacity or as a tech lead depending on project needs
The superiors for this position
Minimal level of education
Not important (our CTO dropped out of university to co-found 9Y)
Minimal work experience
- Hardware of choice
- Subsidised lunch near the office
- 9Y is a very remote friendly, and team members often work from home
- Flexible working hours (we recognise that 9-5 may not be your most productive time, some of us also have kids and families)
- Profit sharing scheme